Friday, September 11, 2020

An interesting way to make money during a pandemic

 Do desperate times call for desperate measures? Yes, but I have discovered during this pandemic, desperate times can also lead to new opportunities. For me, this was enrolling in a clinical trial vaccine for COVID19. I found out about this clinical trial through my professor and decided to enroll. I am a healthy twenty-year-old and want to help in the process of making a vaccine, but for complete transparency, I was motivated by the possibility of making some money. It all began when my professor sent an email about the trial, and spontaneously I decided to sign up. I called my dad right after being that he is well educated on such topics. He thought it was a great idea and wished he could do it. On the other hand, my mother and sister begged me not to do it, and my sister even suggested my hair might fall out, which concerned me for a second because I have a very bumpy skull, but I quickly realized she had no evidence to back up this statement. I promptly got a call from someone at AMR(Alliance for Multispecialty Research), and they asked me a multitude of questions about my health and then informed me I was a perfect candidate. I scheduled an appointment and didn't think much of it until the morning of my appointment. Again with the transparency, I was terrified and felt like a lab rat, but when I arrived, I was quickly soothed by a lovely nurse. My calmed nerves were then quickly disrupted when I was given a twenty-four-page contact explaining the trial, possible side effects, and what was expected of me. At this point, they took my vitals, and I was almost kicked out of the trial for having too high of a heartbeat. I explained I was just nervous and eventually got it down. I was further calmed as I read and began to understand the importance of what I was doing and that the side effects were not significantly different than getting a flu vaccine. The doctor in charge of the trial, further explained things, and helped me understand the science behind it, which made me feel even better. The trial is a double-blind, so neither the doctor nor I would know what I received. I could have either been given a placebo or a vaccine at different potencies. The worst part about the whole event was getting my blood drawn and feeling pretty dizzy after. They also tested me for COVID19, which is never a fun process. After all that was done, I was given a debit card with $125 on it, which would increase with each visit and instructions on how to use an app that would track any symptoms I might have. Since this visit, I take my temperature each day and fill out a diary on my symptoms, which has been none. I have another visit in a week and will continue to discuss my experiences with this clinical trial. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Culture

 We live in a world where we have access to information from around the world. It is exceptionally easy to see how people in different parts...