Friday, September 11, 2020

Why so political?

 I have a distinct memory of going through twitter this summer and seeing liked tweets from a friend of mine about how COVID was fake and wearing a mask infringed on his freedom. This person also liked tweets about how stupid people were for being scared of COVID. I was offended because my family was one of those "stupid" people scared of COVID. I was deeply confused about how a worldwide pandemic had become something you could take a political side on. I don't like to blindly side on a topic because I have noticed as I grow up, my opinions change as I do. After seeing that many people thought the same way as my friend, I began to question my views and then educate myself on this opposite view and only came up frustrated. I understood where my friend came from, especially as someone who invests in the stock market but could not grasp my head around certain aspects such as not wearing a mask. I was extra aggravated as I learned the extent a mask could help someone like my dad, who is immune deficient, and , in my opinion, a mask is a small price to pay to help others' safety. As I continue to understand this divide on COVID, it becomes apparent that people use information that supports their opinions, which we see on many politically divided topics. I found it fascinating when someone walked into a store; I was in wearing a mask that stated," I am forced to wear this". They seemed to love the attention it gave them and at least they were following the rules and wearing a mask. It is sad that we are divided instead of united to recover from COVID, but I believe this says a lot about human nature and the United States' political system. I have included an article that discusses how COVID has picked up a liberal bias because it elaborates on this political divide that I believe will be analyzed down the road.



https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/opinion/trump-covid-experts.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Culture

 We live in a world where we have access to information from around the world. It is exceptionally easy to see how people in different parts...