Monday, October 12, 2020

The service industry and Covid

 I work at a Lexington restaurant and have noticed some interesting interactions between workers enforcing Covid safety procedures and customers. Most customers come into the restaurant with masks and keep them on until they sit down; a select few do not. These people often will be hesitant to put their masks on after you ask and, in a few instances, have refused and required me to get a manager. The people who do end up putting on their masks after hesitating wear them below their nose or pull them off to talk. As someone who wears it my whole shift and has to talk a lot, I completely understand the frustration of wearing them, but I am always surprised by people's resistance, mainly because most of them tend to be older and more at risk. It is a delicate balance to remind these customers of the Covid safety procedures while relying on their tips as a wage. I do not want to upset them and lose money but cannot serve them if they are not complying. I believe these weird instances are mainly due to the stigma of masks infringing on rights, but as someone working in the service industry, I hope people start to understand that we are required to follow the rules and "not kill the messenger." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Culture

 We live in a world where we have access to information from around the world. It is exceptionally easy to see how people in different parts...