There seems to be a correlation between positive cases and Greek life on campuses. Many people on social media such as Tik Tok have pointed out this theme, and everyone who is not part of it seems to be annoyed by it. I am not in Greek life, so I only have an outside view but am basing this blog off of what I have heard and seen. Included in this blog is a screenshot from The University of Kentucky President explaining Phase 2 of testing only people in greek life because they contained a higher percentage of positive COVID19 cases. There has been a lack of social distancing with people belonging to greek life at the University of Kentucky, especially over the past couple of weeks as they try to recruit others to join. Most of the people in greek life, I believe since a large percentage of people in greek life have had COVID19 they think they're safe from getting it again. I am not sure if these gatherings will end once they have finished recruiting, but from an outside view, it is interesting to see people believe the rules do not apply to them, which I believe is due to this group mentality. Sororities and Fraternities consist of a large group, and so this creates a crowd behavior that normalizes behaviors an individual would likely restrain from. For example, when they participate in a party for their sorority or fraternity, it's the whole group that mostly gets punished. Meanwhile, other parties that are not associated with a group blame the individual instead of an entire group. It is also acceptable in these groups to have parties further normalizing this behavior because their fellow members are participating in the same actions. I believe this gives them a sense of anonymity and increases the likelihood of participating in large gatherings. Greek life can be an excellent way to get involved on campus but fosters some behaviors that do not coincide with being a responsible adult.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Covid Culture
We live in a world where we have access to information from around the world. It is exceptionally easy to see how people in different parts...
-
In my opinion, it would be benighted to think that online education has provided an equal opportunity for all students. I remember distinct...
-
I have a distinct memory of going through twitter this summer and seeing liked tweets from a friend of mine about how COVID was fake and we...
-
I work at a Lexington restaurant and have noticed some interesting interactions between workers enforcing Covid safety procedures and custo...

No comments:
Post a Comment