Friday, September 11, 2020

Staying Informed

 At the beginning of the COVID pandemic in the United States, I would get on my news apps such as The Washington Post, New York Times, The Atlantic, and many others every morning. I was trying to find out as much information from as many sources possible to receive the most unbiased information. I continue to do this, but now, sadly, I keep updated with information directly affecting me besides what I learn in my classes. The University of Kentucky has now released a dashboard updating the number of cases. This is now how I get most of my information while being on campus because it affects me directly. It is beneficial to see how many cases are on campus and how the University of Kentucky handles them. With this said, many people are going untested, and some measures taken by the University of Kentucky, such as the daily wellness screening, seem to go through the motions but lack effectiveness, in my opinion. Now that I am in classes again and have less time, I do not have the time to go on various news platforms to educate myself. All the information we receive has to be analyzed for validity because of contradicting information and different interpretations of the released statistics. The worst part about getting information on COVID19 is that we cannot rely on our President to help us deceiver what is true and not because he is also contributing to the false information and advice. One example of this is when he suggested injecting disinfectants to combat COVID19, which could result in serious health risks. I have included the video because it perfectly shows how careful we need to be about believing the information we receive even from someone who should be a credible source. I am lucky enough to have family members who also comb the internet for the most accurate information, and continuously I receive a link to articles or texts to inform me of things about COVID I should be aware of.

covid-19-data-dashboard




No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid Culture

 We live in a world where we have access to information from around the world. It is exceptionally easy to see how people in different parts...